Monday, October 29, 2007

Wendesday and the weekend

wed 7 After work with Dave. Went down Shoal Creek- Dave was finishing up a 20 mile day and I was a little tired from the last two days so we took it nice and slow. Did some serious wagering on heps results.

Sat 12 did workout with Dave. We made a kind of up and over loop that ran about 2:10 with rest of 2 minutes. The loop had all different types of terrain-the kind where you have to say to yourself, "well I'm not going up the hill anymore, I can stop with the short stride." Dave did 8, I did the first 6 and the last one. I felt better on the last one than I thought, maybe I'm being a little conservative. IT band tightened up the last few minutes of the run, no big deal

Sun 13- evening run by myself as Dave fell victim to an open bar the night before. I decided to explore some new territory, so I put on green (neutral colors) and ran east looking for land for my real estate Uncle to buy. I found a great park and while the streets were really hood, I like that everyone is out and about. IT band got pretty tight about an hour into it then really tight when I took off my shoes to run the last few minutes barefoot on IF. Only really bothering me down by the knee. Not sure if I'll be able to run on Monday, thinking about coming up with a injury prevention strength routine.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Hey Brian,

I've been meaning to chime in. Anyways, I think doing the marathon might be a cool idea. Especially if you anticipate it's going to take some time to get back to respectable fitness, shooting for a winter marathon as an intermediate step, and getting a guaranteed P.R. out of it, will definitely be better for your psyche than just running yet another series of "slow" 5Ks or 10Ks. That was a big reason I went to the longer stuff last year as I was coming off my Achilles injury. I was downright afraid to run 10K or shorter, but at the longer stuff I had a blank slate.

Unfortunately, doing a year of half-assed marathon training it also gave me an excuse to totally eliminate fast workouts, which I'm still suffering the consequences of now, so don't make that same mistake (although it probably wouldn't affect you nearly as much). But if you're smart about it, doing a marathon would be a unique challenge and a cool way to break up the training. And no matter what happens at the end of it, if you finish it, you can probably consider it a success and get some positive energy out of it for the spring and summer. It sounds like you could use some of that at this point.

Stay on top of the injuries, and keep up the good work. It's not easy.

-Pat

P.S. I think you, Dave, Owen, and whoever else you can find in Austin should make up a team and make a trip to Club Nats in 6 weeks. I'll be there with my club, Jarrod will be there, and Marcus says he's going, too (and he's looking vulnerable at the moment...)